Monday, July 8, 2013

Job Offer Comparison- Arctic

Getting a job in the Arctic is pretty easy. The company that I worked for, Sukakpak, is practically begging people to work for them in the Summer. They are chronically understaffed because of the remoteness of the area, the comparatively low pay for Alaska, and their status as seasonal work. 

Despite these issues, Sukakpak is probably the best company I will ever work for. The management is excellent and friendly and I managed to save thousands of dollars while working in the food service industry. Plus, you get to live in the ARCTIC for FREE. You are right under the aurora belt so you are basically guaranteed a mind-blowing light show every other night in the winter. I think the biggest perk is that you are stuck in an area with twelve other people, who just happen to be highly-educated well-traveled twenty-somethings making shit tons of money. Want someone to travel with you to the amazon for a seven-month spirit journey/ayahuasca binge? You've got twelve great people to choose from.

Anyway, I had just graduated from college with a degree in Anthropology and needed a job. My friend said she made a couple thousand dollars working in an Alaska fish processing plant. I thought this would be good temp work, so I was looking at these website which were overwhelmingly depressing and seedy. Here is where the fates smiled down on me. A giant banner ad at the top with intense mountain scenery said WORK ARCTIC and there I was applying for the job. A day or two later they emailed me back offering a phone interview, which they cautioned would take one to two hours. 

The first phone interview was basically the woman from HR talking at me and telling me about the history of the area and making SURE I know just how REMOTE it was. I think she maybe just asked me to describe myself a bit. It was very easy and then she told me I had a second phone interview with the company owner. 

The first thing that shows up if you google Sukakpak is how the company is a scam and doesn't pay the employees, and since a lot of it sounded too good to be true my guard was kind of up but I was too excited at the prospect of being able to work in the Arctic to even care. 

Actually arranging a time for the second interview was kind of a nightmare, later I would learn that the owner is an extremely busy man (I would be surprised if he got 6 hours of sleep at once, ever). I took the constant rescheduling as a sign they didn't want to hire me, and when I finally got the second interview I had to hide in a closet because I was so scared that I was going to be rejected. 

Long story short, I got the job, loved it, extended my contract from five months to one year, loved winter even more, got a cool boyfriend, made shit tons of money. I absolutely recommend working for this company if you have time. Here is the link: www.workarctic.com. 

No comments:

Post a Comment